Originally known as 'Lords Hill', in 1807 the Connecticut Asylum for the Deaf was founded and for one hundred years, provided services to the deaf. The institution relocated to its present home in West Hartford, whereupon it became the American School for the Deaf.
A commemorative statue (located at the intersection of Farmington and Asylum Avenues) of a young girl standing on oversized open hands pays tribute to the institution which gave Asylum Hill its name.
The neighborhood is bounded on the north by a railroad line to Bloomfield, on the east and south by Interstate-84 and the New Haven Railroad, and on the west by the north branch of the Park River.
Map and stats on neighborhood located just west of Downtown.
Overview of neighborhood from "This Old House" online.
Photographic essay with historical information.
NINA is a nonprofit organization founded by six major institutions in the Asylum Hill neighborhood to foster community development. Information on homes for sale is provided.
Thanks to DMOZ, which built a great web directory for nearly two decades and freely shared it with the web. About us