Windsor [Hartford County]. Settled by a company from Plymouth Colony, arriving with the frame and materials of a trading house on their vessel Sept. 26, 1633. This house was set up, 80 to 100 rods below the mouth of the Farmington River, on a tract previously bought of the original Indian proprietors. Before the summer of 1635, the settlers had bought Great Meadow, north of the Farmington, and placed cattle and servants on their lands. They sold out, 1637 and 1638, to Dorchester, Mass., settlers, who had arrived in their vicinity, 1635, and named their settlement Dorchester. It was named in 1637 from Windsor in Berkshire, now a royal residence.
Area, 31.1 sq. miles. Population, est., 27,475. Voting districts, 7. Principal industries: power generation, aerospace, insurance, computer aided design and manufacturing software development, medical technology, financial services, manufacturing of computer components, electronics, machine tools, adhesives, measuring devices, automotive parts, air movement equipment, and shade grown tobacco.
It is considered to be a part of the Greater Hartford Metro Area.
Promotes Windsor Center and protects its heritage as the basis for developing recreational, economic and cultural activity.
Town government's site, with information on local services, library, education, and business resources.
Information provided on girls' lacrosse program, seasonal employment opportunities, summer registration and events.
Public, education and government cable community access provider.
Photos, street directions and information on animal control, community policing, PAL and recruiting.
Contemporary color photograph with description of restoration project.
Thanks to DMOZ, which built a great web directory for nearly two decades and freely shared it with the web. About us