The area which now surrounds the Village of Lake George played an important part in the early history of our country. The lake itself became a corridor or pathway for many raiding parties of the French and their Indian allies; also the English and the Colonials as they sought to gain control of this most important waterway. Fort William Henry was built here by the English within our village limits in 1755. In 1757 it became the site of the massacre written about by James Fenimore Cooper in his novel "Last of the Mohicans." In the 1870's through the early 1900's, the Village was a popular summer resort. Tourists could reach the Village by railroad or stage coach and some of the luxury hotels here could accommodate up to 900 guests. Tourism is still the main business of the area with people arriving by car or bus. There are 60 motels, hotels or cottages within the Village with the ability to satisfy many different price levels. We also have a lovely State Park for camping and another for picnicking, just a few feet from the Village boundary line. The geographical location of the Village places the Village approximately 200 miles north of New York City. The Village itself is bounded by the lake shore on the east and Prospect Mountain of the Adirondack Mountain chain on the west. The setting is lovely with high fir clad peaks running along both sides of our clear blue lake. The water is so pure that it is used as a source of drinking water. We have well over 200 islands that dot the lake that adds to its visual beauty.
Thanks to DMOZ, which built a great web directory for nearly two decades and freely shared it with the web. About us